Thursday, April 3, 2008

Our collection of bedtime stories bore me. I am tired of them. So I'm going to buy new ones. Because I'm the mommy and I can. But I need suggestions. What are your favorite books?

Here are a few of ours:
His books are just pretty. Some of the stories are better than others. For instance, Cute Girl really likes The Tiny Seed, probably for the pictures, but I find the story a bit dull. And long. We like all of her books. We also have The Runaway Bunny and The Big Red Barn.This one comes from the library. We actually have Olivia helps with Christmas. Very true in its portrayal of sassy little girls. The Rocket Scientist counts this as one of his favorites.Just good ol' fun.
Ditto on the fun. And it's got a great last page.
The Woods are one of my all time favorite author/illustrator duos. Another great one is The Napping House.
Full of clever rhymes and historical figures. Check out the mini portraits on the first and last pages.A classic.










5 comments:

Katie Rod said...

I really love children's books, so here are some of my favorites:
1. "I Can't" Said the Ant by Polly Cameron
2. Lon PoPo by Ed Young (has cool pictures...it's a red riding hood story from China)
3. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (any books he writes are going to be a little different than the usual children's story, but they are entertaining)
4. The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg (This has been my favorite since kindergarten)

Enjoy!!!

necia said...

my kids really like
I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew by Dr. Seuss. I usually can't get through the whole thing without them falling asleep. I think it is the repetition. My kids also love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr, Take me out of the bathtub by Alan Katz,or any of the Bearanstain Bears stories. Hope this helps.

Kristin Hanson said...

Here are the ones I love, many of them from doing the Bedtime Story reading at Barnes and Noble.

1) Skippyjon Jones, any in the series, by Judy Schachner
2) any of the Wombat books by Charles Fuge
3) Don't Let Pidgeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willerns
4) The Kiss That Missed by David Melling
5) The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown
6) The Paper Back Princess by Robert Munsch
7) How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jane Yolen

I'll post more as I remember them.

Kristin Hanson said...

ack - it's the Paper Bag Princess, not Paper Back Princess.

Kristin said...

1. I LOVE "Blankie", "Yummy Yucky", "Big Little" by Leslie Patricelli , all of hers are soo cute. I love the illustrations. They might be a bit young for Sadie, but great for Madoc.
2. Sheep in a Jeep
3. Sandra Boyton books, especially "Opposites"
4. "That's not my monster", it's mainly just for fun, but teaches textures
5. The Big Red Barn
6. 5 Silly monkeys