Monday, December 3, 2007

Food, continued.

So the reason for the "swearing off of all things good to eat" is that M has had issues with food his entire life. It's all his fault. He's been throwing up since day one. This never really seems to bother him, it's just gross, frustrating, and difficult to keep him full sometimes. So we took him to the doctor but our pediatrician was on vacation so we saw an associate doctor. I thought it might be reflux in which case we could get meds and be done with it! After checking out his belly and all of that this doctor said he was fine, he wasn't losing weight, babies just spit up and to get over it (although he was a little nicer than that). Well, we were sad that we couldn't do anything but happy that he was healthy. Well, at M's 2 month check-up we saw his real pediatrician who took a different view of the situation. He said it could still be reflux even without weight loss along with several other possibilities like allergies and overeating. So he gave us a number of things to try. Well, after a week or so M was no longer spitting up constantly and we determined the problem had been milk. Unfortunately, my happy baby disappeared with the spitting up. He was now only being breastfed and the more time passed the more I worried he wasn't getting enough to eat. Nursing lasted 2-3 minutes - 5 at the most. So at our 4 month check-up we voiced these new concerns and the doctor gave us more things to try. Bottles came back in an effort to see if he needed more food along with new formulas to test for more allergies and sleepytime tea to calm a troubled tummy. Well, happy baby is back, along with spitting up, and he's still a fussy eater, although nursing seems to go slightly better now, even if it is only a minute or two longer.
So, the restricted diet. I'm going off of almost every allergen and he's going onto Neutramigen, the hypoallergenic formula that you can't be allergic to. All of this is to see if he continues to spit up in the next week. If he does, then I can rule out allergies and it would either have to be overeating or reflux. I'm betting on reflux. I'm hoping it's not allergies. I'd like to eat again soon.
Oh, and Kristin, I need all kinds of recipes, preferably good ones for dinner.

2 comments:

whitney said...

I know this is an older post, but I figured I'd comment anyway. I have a fair amount of allergy experience between my two allergetic kids, so if it turns out to be allergies and you need any advice, I'm your gal!

whitney said...

PS-your kids are ADORABLE-so cute!