Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Favorite Things

I love spending time with my husband. Strange, but true. Especially considering how strange HE is. One of my absolute favorite things to do with him is read. We've done this on and off our entire marriage. We'll pick out a book and read it to one another. But I must confess, I prefer him reading to me rather than the other way around. What can I say? I'm lazy. But anyways, we've read some really fun things. We just finished a book called Al Capone Does My Shirts. It was really good. It's about a boy who moves with his family to Alcatraz so that they can live in San Francisco where there's a school for his autistic sister. Currently we're reading The Candy Shoppe War by Brandon Mull. Incidentally, I know the author. We also read his Fablehaven books. We usually pick light-hearted, fun books. Often they're for young adults or fantasy (or both).
It's nice because it gives us something to do once the kids are in bed that we both enjoy. Often we'll snuggle in bed or on the couch with hot chocolate. (What could be better? Chocolate goes with everything!) Then we read until one of us (ok, me) says they're too tired to go on and it's time for bed. I really like it because we often don't have anything interesting to say to one another. I mean, how often does anyone want to hear about dirty diapers and tantrums? And circuit boards aren't really at the top of the fascinating list. But instead of turning on the tv, we can read, and in this way we're still interacting with one another. Oh, and then later it gives us something to talk about!

Oh - and it's fun to laugh together. Like when we read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Those books have some great lines.

0 comments: