Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Thanksgiving Tale

Well, we had a fabulous Thanksgiving and lived to tell the tale. Our home was bombarded (pleasantly) with 9 out-of-town relatives for a week of fun. I thought I had a relatively large house until 13 people tried living in it for a week. S was the only one who got to keep her room to herself. Grandparents filled the toy room, an aunt and uncle took the nursery, bumping M back into his cradle which was placed very lovingly in Mom's closet, and the downstairs was filled up with five singles: girls in the living room, boys in the family room. Amazingly enough, we never ran out of hot water. Well, at least I didn't.
Everyone arrived sometime between 2pm on Tuesday and 5 am on Wednesday. I had planned on sleeping through most of the arrivals, but by some series of very unfortunate circumstances (namely M unable to sleep through the commotion) I was awake everytime a new person came in the door. Oh, well.
N was very pleased to push everyone out the door on Wednesday to enjoy the fine weather and to play wiffleball. M was sleeping so I was stuck at home but I did get to see the pictures. This is mostly what S did the whole time:


And here's G'ma with her turn at bat. Notice S in the background, still slurping at Dad's waterbottles.
On Thursday S's Aunt Sarah tried to teach her some yoga tricks.
Our dinner was fabulous. N had the presence of mind to set the alarm for me because I wanted to get up early to start the turkey. But the idea didn't seem so good at 5:30 in the morning. But the bird was in the oven by 6:40 which meant dinner was promptly served at 1 o'clock. Not bad in my experience. We cooked it in a roasting bag so the meat was falling off the bone by the time N went to check the temperature. Oh, and we roasted it upside down to make the breast meat extra juicy. Highly recommend it. I put my own personal touches on my mother's dressing recipe (which was almost gone before I even got through the line), made my grandmother's homemade noodles (which left the kitchen covered in flour), and lots of other yummy dishes which I won't enumerate because I'm getting hungry just thinking about them. Too bad leftovers don't last longer.

Here's the family at various times throughout Thanksgiving Day.


And here is the most fabulous video in the world. It can speak for itself.


4 comments:

Melanie said...

So much fun! I love the video! Sadie's laugh is so adorable!

Kristin said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! How fun that everyone came to see you guys! It's kinda nice not to have to go anywhere for Thanksgiving. And, props for making the whole sha-bang... I'd be scared spitless to do that!

Rachael said...

that was HILARIOUS!!! i watched it twice.

Sarah said...

hey A...guess I haven't checked out your blog in awhile. When did you start using just the first initials for everyone? Really shortens up the typing, huh? i like it. Anyway...sounds like you had a great thanksgiving!! What a crowd. Good thing you have a house!! Ty & I hosted this year too. Most of my family came, just missing David & Amber. It was fun!!