Sunday, November 18, 2007

Our Sabbath

Oh, what a day. Whoever said that Sunday was a day of rest didn't have kids. Or husbands. (But I love mine dearly.)

For reasons I have yet to comprehend, we can never seem to make it out of the house on time on Sunday. Now, we are rarely actually late to Church, but I never get the seat I want. Well, today was no exception. We were fifteen minutes late leaving for Stake Conference. Then when we got to the car I asked N if he knew how to get to the Stake Center. He said he knew about where it was, having carpooled to a Stake Priesthood meeting. So, off we went, already late. Well, it turns out that the Stake Center was not where N thought it was. After cruising up and down the wrong road we stopped at a gas station to check a phone book. We had two addresses to choose from. Of course it was the second address we checked, in another part of town. But he did get us there (35 minutes into the meeting) and for that I am grateful. Luckily, the kids were pretty good and my darling husband put M to sleep for me.
The one talk that I got to listen to was our Stake President. He had some interesting comments to make on being thankful for what we have. He related the following story which I liked and decided to share a bit of. It was originaly in The New Yorker.

Kurt Vonnegut to Joseph Heller, while having dinner at the home of a very wealthy man:

I said, “Joe, how does it make you feel to know that our host only yesterday may have made more money than your novel ‘Catch-22′ has earned in its entire history?” And Joe said, “I’ve got something he can never have.” And I said, “What on earth could that be, Joe?” And Joe said, “The knowledge that I’ve got enough.”

And so, with the season of thanks being upon us, I am trying to "know" that I have enough and to be grateful for that. Like husbands who try to cheer me up when we're thirty-five minutes late to Conference. Or a sweet baby who smiles at everyone sitting behind us. Or a wise two year old who starts singing "Jesus Said Love Everyone" when her daddy gets mad at the motorist who just pulled out in front of him. I really do have enough.

1 comments:

Kathryn Cooper said...

I know! I can't believe how long it takes me to get out the door with just 1 kid. Before having children I could get ready in 20 min, that's including taking a shower. I'm lucky to get ready in 1 hour and 20 min. now!