Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fudge Recipe

Melanie requested this and since I had it typed up, I thought I'd share. It was a Sunday tradition growing up in my house.

Peanut Butter Fudge from the kitchen of my dad!

2 cups sugar
3/4 cups milk
Mix in saucepan. Put on stove and let boil without stirring until it reaches softball (235 degrees). If you don't have a candy thermometer, you can get one for just a few dollars at the grocery store. Or, you can test the readiness by dropping a dab of the mix into a cup of cold water. It's ready when it forms a soft ball. Most cookbooks explain the process. If in doubt, I would under boil the sugar. If it's too hot the fudge turns hard as rock and you can't eat it. But if it's too cold, it just doesn't set up and then you can at least scrape it out of the pan with a spoon. Still delicious.

Remove from heat. Add a big dash of salt, 3/4 cup peanut butter, and 2 t vanilla. Stir until it has lost its gloss. Pour onto buttered platter and let cool.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

Yum! I LOVE that fudge! I miss our game nights and your fudge...

Melanie said...

It turned out great! I added some chocolate chips and M&Ms to parts of it, and we gobbled it up! Thanks again!