Sunday, November 4, 2007

S's Wisdom

I just love how little children are so innocent and yet so wise beyond their years. Often it seems that they understand the world much better than we do.

Today, as I was getting S dressed, she asked why we were putting on Church clothes. She is in the ask questions about everything phase and I thought this was just another one. I responded that it was because we were going to church. She then said, "It's a commandment because Jesus loves us." I told her that she was right and that we do it to show Jesus that we love him, feeling that this was actually a better response to the commandment thing but then I started thinking. I came to the conclusion that in a way she was more right than I was. We do keep the commandments to show Christ that we love him, but he first gave us the commandment and he did this because he loves us. This world and probation period would be useless if we did not have commandments and the agency to choose whether or not we keep those commandments. I'm so grateful that I have a Father and Savior who loved us enough to give us commandments and to trust us to follow their example.

2 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

Sadie is so darn smart! What three year old knows what commandment means? Kudos to you guys for teaching her so well!!

Rachael said...

so sweet!!