Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A little over a week ago I ran an 8-mile race with my friend Lisa. Here we are before the race.
There are no actual race pictures because the Rocket Scientist forgot to bring the camera. And I didn't post sooner because I was waiting on Lisa to send me her pictures but unfortunately she got the stomach flu that night.
It was a lot fun. The race trail wound through the pecan groves that surround our town. It was really pretty and so much fun to be among so much green. Cactus and tumbleweeds just aren't that green.
We ran together for about the first mile and a quarter and then when I looked back I couldn't see her anymore. I felt kind of bad about that but I got to cheer her on to the finish line!
My goal was not lofty - I only wanted to keep up 10-minute miles - but I did it! I finished in an hour and twenty-four minutes. See, what they didn't tell us at the beginning was that our 8-mile race was actually an 8 and a HALF mile race. I got to the eight mile marker and the finish line wasn't even in sight!
The kids came just in time to cheer me on to the finish line and to eat my orange. Then we cheered for Lisa 20 or 30 minutes later. Afterwards we let the kids go to the jumping castles at the pecan festival next door. Here they are on the train with their daddy.



5 comments:

Melanie said...

Ha! I know you always call the hubs Rocket Scientist, but it takes on a funnier meaning in terms of leaving the camera behind. Way to go on the race- running always impresses me.

And while I was making the fudge, I ran across your recipe for peanut butter fudge and wished I had more marshmallow fluff! Yummy!

Mom said...

Way to go!!! Proud of you. I am glad the kids were there to see you finish and cross the line. The kids look cold in the picture. They are going to need to bundle up for Indiana.

Sheri E. said...

That is so cool that you ran in a race. Way to go!

Karen C. said...

I think you are incredible! Running 8 and a half miles in 84 minutes is absolutely amazing in my book. (Actually, running 1 mile without stopping at least four times to rest is considered amazing in MY book....hehe) Keep up the good work--you inspire me!

Katie said...

Wow! That's awesome. I'm very impressed by your running abilities.