Thursday, August 20, 2009

So, so, so much

I have been meaning to post all week, but life is just so full right now that I feel like I'm barely staying a float.
Yesterday was not such a nice day. I was not a good mommy or wife or housekeeper or anything. But we'll only mention the fact that I ate lots of M&Ms and had three pb/chocolate cookie bar things at RS last night. So very discouraging when the day before I hit the lowest weight I've had in months.
But this morning we are already doing better. I was awake by 5:30 to lay in bed and think about my day, read my scriptures and say goodbye to my husband. Handsome Face didn't wake up until 7am (?!?!) and I had already stripped my bed and started the wash, fed Cute Girl and myself, read her five stories, taken my allergy meds, and finished my internet updates. Oh, and Cute Girl had gone to the bathroom, made her bed, got herself dressed, and cleared her breakfast dishes. Not too bad.
We have now completed two weeks of seminary classes. It hasn't been as bad as I originally thought it would be. That is indeed a blessing. But it isn't a walk in the park either. Cute Girl is always disappointed when she isn't awake to say goodbye to her dad at 5:45 but I'm disappointed when she is. So the Rocket Scientist can no longer park in the garage because it wakes up all my children. He doesn't like it but he's pretty good natured about it.
I don't think either of us realized just how tired he would be. He only gets up 15 minutes earlier than before but with teaching a bunch of teenagers and then nine hours of work plus hour and a half of driving everyday, he's pretty worn out. Then he still has to come home, help with dinner and bedtime, do any home teaching that may be scheduled, and then prepare for the next day's lesson. We have some really exciting evenings in our house, let me tell you!
Last Sunday I was released as a Sunbeam teacher and called into the Young Women's presidency. I must admit that I am pretty happy not to be in Primary anymore. I loved my sweet, little Sunbeams but it was hard teaching them and I was always exhausted. I have never been in the Young Women and I'm excited to work with the Beehives. But all of a sudden there are activities that are coming and the details aren't worked out and I have no idea what I'm doing. It's kind of overwhelming. We have a shooting activity this Saturday that I'm not thrilled about but I feel like I have to go so I will. Hopefully the inactive girls it is supposed to be targeting will actually come.
One of the sisters I visit teach is also my neighbor and we're both in the neighborhood mommies group. She's less active and I try to do everything I can to help her, although I'm sure I don't do enough. She has a very spirited little girl who is eight months younger than Cute Girl. Last year her daughter was enrolled in preschool at the elementary but it's too expensive to enroll her again so she started a preschool group like Joy school. We meet twice a week for two hours and trade weeks so we each only teach once a month. Now, I am not a big believer in preschool. I've never felt like Cute Girl needed to go to preschool and she learns just fine at home. But I wanted to help my friend out so we joined the group. I'm constantly back and forth on it. I taught the first week and after the first day I was ready to quit. The kids are on all different levels and I couldn't keep them focused. Cute Girl got left to herself during table work because I was too busy helping everyone else. She filled an entire line with perfect A's and a's before moving on to B's because she was so bored. But then the second day was infinitely better and Cute Girl seems to like it. But I miss my freedom on Tuesday and Thursdays. We used to meet up in the park to play with neigborhood kids but that's getting harder to do. And then I realized that to walk Cute Girl to class and home again was going to take up to an hour and 20 minutes a day. For a two hour class! (We still don't have a car.) Once again I was ready to drop out but my friend Nicole is graciously driving her. But now I feel so indebted to her and I still haven't figured out how to get Cute Girl to Nicole's house when she's teaching and it's kept me up at night.
Oh, there is so much more going on in life but my kids are clamoring to get to the swimming pool. Life really is very full right now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I'm exhausted just reading this post. I know you are one of the most capable people in the world, but I'm afraid you will wear yourself out! I'm glad things went better today. Everything you're involved with is so worthwhile--but don't forget to take care of yourself.

This is Karen--by the way. I just noticed I was signed in as Joseph...

Kristin said...

Hey, I feel like we are leading the same lives!!!

Other than the seminary part... instead of that, Matthew volunteers as a fire fighter 2 days a week, which isn't as stressful on a daily basis as being a seminary teacher, but it is time consuming, and doing the whole bedtime/clean up the kitchen routine by myself, isn't always a blast!

I got put into Beehives last year and I LOVE IT! Yes, it is time consuming with class presidency meetings, mutual, firesides, etc, but I always put family first, and that means that I sometimes take Avery with me. Luckily, I am the class advisor, not in the presidency, so I don't have YW presidency meetings, but still. No matter how you look at it, it's time consuming, but I LOVE TEACHING the 12-13 year olds. It is so fun.

Joy school.... we start next Monday, and we are teaching by month, so I'll be teaching half of September and half of October, and then I'm off until Feb-ish.

Once again, so time consuming, but I think it will be TOTALLY worth it!

Good luck, I am sure once you get into the swing of things it will all work ou!

mom said...

You are so clever and probably do not even realize it. I loved the way you used "targeting" while the activity is a shooting one. You and husband are going to be ready for a vacation when the time comes. Christmas, right?

Katie said...

Wow! That is a lot of stuff to do. I'm glad seminary is better than you thought. New callings are always overwhelming but you'll get the hang of it. As for the other stuff, I have no idea how you do it.

Rachael said...

wow--I second the comment about being tired just reading about this! best of luck with everything, especially the new calling (although I think that is the sweetest age for the YW, so you lucked out there!)