Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mmmmm, Good

Handsome Face loves to tell me when something is yummy. "Mommy, ice cream mmm, good?" It's so funny, and hence the title of this post which is all about Zaharako's and it is definitely good.Downtown Columbus, Indiana is in the process of revitalization. (Why is it that all small downtowns are in the process of revitalization? Have you ever noticed that?) Zaharako's, the local soda fountain for over a hundred years, recently completed its own facelift. We treated my family to lunch there and it was so fun.

The food was really good. Here's my Gom sandwich. I grew up knowing what Gom was but I don't think anyone else reading this post will have a clue. So I tried to research it but came up with nothing. So here's my version: Gom is like sloppy joe, but not like Manwich, because that's just gross. It's sweet and just a little teeny bit spicy. I would say it's more like coneys than sloppy joe (if you even know what coneys is). Whether it's Midwestern, or Hoosier, or just plain ol' Columbus I don't know but I do know that I like it. I had mine plain but you can also get it on top of a burger or hotdog. Zaharako's also makes their own chips and fries. The boys (and my sister) got phosphate root beers from the fountain. It was fun for them what with the frosted mugs and all but I prefered my regular root beer.
I loved the faux newsprint that came with the meals and the real paper straws. How cool is that?! And notice the Gom on top of the dog.
While we waited for our food we looked around the museum and shop. They sell all sorts of candy, toys, and old fashioned gadgets. Here, Cute Girl tries her hand at the wooden yo-yo.

It didn't work out too well.
You can't leave without some ice cream. There were so many of us that I just ordered a Big Z - five scoops with hot fudge, peanuts, and whipped cream. Chase couldn't stop going on about the fudge.
Visit the site to see great pictures and learn about the orchestrion. It plays periodically while you eat and it's lots of fun to watch.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Did you know that our cousin Lindsay is the head cook/chef there now? She got to work with the "revitalization" to make the recipes original as can be! She says she works a lot of hours but is loving it! I can't wait to go home and try a little... or a lot!