Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nursery Tour

I've been searching high and low for new furniture. I love planning new rooms. It's just so exciting! Handsome Face is over two years old now so I think it's about time he had a new bed. I've got a few months to plan the perfect space so it should be fun.

I officially finished decorating my baby nursery a few months ago (just in time for my baby to move out). Here are some belated pictures.

The centerpiece of this room is the crib of course. Grandma Crapo bought this for us when Cute Girl was born. The walls are are Skipping Stones green and Baby Bee Yellow from Disney. Unfortunately I could never find great lighting so the color is hard to see. I plan on using this room for all of my babes and I wanted it to be gender neutral.I am a firm believer that if you have something, you should use it. Keepsakes, heirlooms, souvenirs, etc. are useless if they are packed away in boxes and attics. They become junk and clutter. So here I used baby pictures of my husband and I for nursery artwork. I spray painted white frames from Target to match other artwork in the room. The Greg Olsen print came from an old calendar that I've cut up and framed.I LOVE these paper globes. I found the pattern at Hello, My Name is Heather. They weren't too hard to make once I started using a punch instead of cutting the circles by hand. Handsome Face loves them. They're a fun variation on nursery mobiles.I made the curtains and bed skirt myself. I originally wanted to use this fabric but The Rocket Scientist picked out the fabric on sale at Jo-Anns. He called it a Pride and Prejudice print (i.e. calico - a tan flower print on light green) and it is very pretty. I still like my first one and I'm sometimes sad I didn't use it but I love it when he helps pick things out for the kids rooms. He usually has great opinions and ideas. Plus, his fabric was a fraction of the cost. The book box is from Michael's and I spray painted it to match the frames. The shelves hold more personal items: Dr. Seuss book from Aunt Heather, doll cradle from my grandfather, pillow-case doll my great-grandmother crocheted, and my childhood teddy bear.A quilt rack from Craig's List holds my and my husband's baby quilts and afghans crocheted by my two grandmothers.

The artwork is from art.com. It's pretty generic but I used it to pull the color scheme for the room (not that you can see the colors in these awful pictures). Plus, the kids like it and that is what's important. Handsome Face points out what he sees while laying on the changing table.

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Ashley- you did a fantastic job on finishing the nursery. too bad your baby is moving out of the nursery soon. do you have any new plans for his room yet? you do a great job at home decor! i love it!!

Sheri E. said...

The room looks so cute! You have some really great ideas. I love the mobile orbs.

Rachael said...

so fun to see this! i love seeing real-life decorating ideas. thanks for all the links!!

Katie said...

The room turned out great. I love the mobile too, I'm going to have to try that.

whitney said...

What a wonderful job! I know what you mean about it taking so long. The girls room I started when Georgia was born is still getting done and Scarlett's nine months old :P

I LOVE the mobile orbs, by the way. They're so fabulous!