Thursday, September 11, 2008

Question

Does it count as quality time if you're in the toyroom working on the budget or reading a book while your kids play around you (often making a budget of her own)? I am often stumped as to how much time to call "quality." I'm home with them all day long, so how much devoted, sit-down, only playing time does there need to be? I get really bored playing "camping." Not to mention the fact that I usually commit to playing a game only to be bossed around doing dumb things like packing bags or she gets side-tracked and I'm left sitting there. So what's enough?

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

That is a good question. I've been thinking a lot about that myself lately. Its hard to know what qualifies as "quality time" with the children when you are a stay at home mom. Granted, I wouldn't have it any other way. But I agree that it is so easy to be with the kids, but working on your own thing. I like to spend atleast an hour playing with my children each day. As long as they let me, and they don't kick me out of the game! ;)

Rachael said...

I'll admit, I get bored playing with my kids. Like...really fast. Which is why our quality time is things like going on walks or playing on the swings or going to the library. I read stories to them every day, and I try to spend a few minutes down on the floor with them, but generally once they're wrapped up in a game, I leave.

So I'm always worrying about this too, because I feel guilty about the fact that playing with them bores me. I still do it, but...I generally try to make up something to get them interested in carrying it on themselves. And when I'm "playing" with them, I generally go for things that involve sort of picking up or making things neater. Like arranging all the Little People neatly in their houses, or brushing the Barbie dolls' hair, etc.