Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pizza Night

We have a tradition in our family that every Friday night is Pizza Night. The Rocket Scientist and I have been doing this since the first year we were married. Cute Girl loves this. Pizza is one of her absolutely favorite foods. We make the crust from scratch. The recipe came from my aunt Crystal. We make it all the time so I'm super fast. If I want to push it we can be ready to put the crust in the oven in an hour. It's really not labor intensive; you just have to plan ahead and start the dough about an hour and fifteen minutes before you want to put the pizza in the oven We pile on the veggies so it's super healthy. And if I'm in a generous mood Cute Girl gets to watch a movie while we eat our pizza.

Pizza Crust

In large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, one teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup oil. Let sit five minutes.
Stir in 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups flour. I usually use 1 cup of whole wheat flour and then 1 3/4 cups of white flour. Turn onto floured counter and knead until smooth. Let rise one hour. Punch down and form into crust on floured surface. Place on pan or stone covered in cornmeal. Prick with a fork all over to prevent bubbling and brush on olive oil. Top as desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

whitney said...

Oooh, we're big pizza fans at our house too (you wouldn't think so w/the whole dairy thing-but pizza w/out cheese is actually really good)! The recipe is even safe, so I'm definitely going to have to try it out. Thanks!

Kristin Hanson said...

Now if I could only eat pizza..... ;)

I really like the EASY method, too. Since I started Evie on it, life has been so much easier. I just don't see eye to eye with the author on the onesie thing and the crying thing. I don't rush to her side, but that girl will work herself up into a tizzy if I leave her in her cradle after the first few cries. *sigh*