Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cookies run amok

Cute Girl and I took on the great task of making Easter sugar cookies this weekend. It was a lot of fun, took much longer than intended, and there was one or two incidents along the way. But all in all, fun was had.

I used the sugar cookie recipe from Picky Palates. I'm not a huge sugar cookie fan but this recipe almost has me converted. Sugar cookies are a little labor intensive, so I would recommend making the dough a day ahead. This works our particularly well for this recipe, as the dough needs to refrigerate for at least two hours. It also makes a TON of cookies. Half the dough yielded three dozen. We're putting the other half in the freezer for later holiday use.
Now for the fun part. The cast: flour, marble rolling pin, cookie cutters, dough, and of course, a Cute Girl (she's absolutely necessary).
Right after this picture was taken my beautiful marble rolling pin met an untimely demise. Cute Girl was reaching for it while I got a cookie sheet and sent it crashing to the tile floor. Note: marble rolling pins should NEVER meet with tile floors. Raw cookies. (They're kind of yummy.)
Baked cookie army. (They're kind of yummy too.)
When the Rocket Scientist got home that night, Cute Girl instructed him on the proper way to decorate sugar cookies. We used Kristin's Butter Cream Frosting. It's divine. One of my favorites.

I decorated most of the three dozen cookies (actually, it was 38) while the kids were napping. Cute Girl had helped bake them that morning while Handsome Face took his first nap. This was an all day project!Cute Girl's masterpieces - she really liked the sprinkles.Pretty good cookie, huh? This is what eventually happened to most of the cookies, along with Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats and chocolates (who doesn't like Reese's Easter Eggs?!). We made up baskets with the Lamb of God videos to give to friends and neighbors. One of the few ways I'm trying to do my part to spread the gospel. I also invited my friend to church on Sunday. We'll see if she comes.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

What a cute idea to do missionary work! The cookies looks so yummy, I wish I was there to help you out with the overabundance! :)

Rachael said...

what an awesome idea! the cookies are totally gorgeous, and i love the idea of putting in a copy of the lamb of god. way to go!

Kathryn Cooper said...

Wow those look yummy. So artistic! I'm going to have to make some cookies in my new kitchen today. Great missionary idea! I'll have to try that.

necia said...

I never would have thought to do that! What a great idea, and it makes missionary work so easy. Plus those cookies look delicious.