Monday, April 4, 2011

It isn't always greener on the other side...

A few weeks ago my yard started out looking like this:

By day's end it looked like this:

Neil worked long and hard that Friday to get everything finished. I tried to help but I was pretty much useless as the sod was too heavy for me to move. We had already put in the irrigation last year and Neil's been working all winter to drop the grade below the level of the fieldstone so that the grass would be even with it in the end. So that morning he moved more dirt, added sand, peat moss, sulfur, phosphorus, and gypsum, then rototilled the whole yard. After he leveled it off and passed the lawn roller over it a few times, he started laying down the sod. I helped trim and cut pieces around the fieldstone, trees, etc. I became very good at sawing through sod! I also helped water down the 1000 sq ft of sod sitting on our driveway. At the end of the day Neil was exhausted and I think we practically fell into bed. But now our backyard is green!

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! That looks like the perfect backyard- way to go, Neil!

Katie said...

That looks great. Good job!

Karen C. said...

It makes a huge difference to have sod in your backyard. I bet the kids are thrilled. It really looks good. I believe that all your hard work is paying off.

Mom said...

So proud of you guys! Can't wait to see it. Bet the kids love to feel it on their feet. The grass looks so nice and inviting!

Alan C said...

That looks amazing. When I look at your yard on Google maps, you already had one of the better looking back yards in your neighborhood. Now you have the best!!!

whitney said...

Ooo, it looks seriously so great! Not just the grass but the landscaping and everything. Great job!

Abby said...

Your backyard looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it for myself.

Kelsey said...

Way to go! That is a lot of work, but it will definitely pay off to have beautiful grass for years to come. Sounds like Neil knows what he is doing!