Monday, October 5, 2009

The Weekend Recap

We had a really great weekend. The Rocket Scientist had his wisdom teeth out on Thursday so we weren't trying to fit in lots of to-do things or yard work. This meant we had lots of time to just be together. It was nice to have a slow-paced weekend. That doesn't happen very often around here.

The Rocket Scientist with ice tied around his head.
For General Conference we kept some old traditions and tried some new ones. For the kids we recounted the story of King Benjamin and pitched our semi-annual conference tent. We had library books, paper, stickers, and crayons nearby. Cute Girl had a paper from Primary with every apostle's picture below a tie. She was supposed to watch for them and draw the tie they were wearing. She really had a good time with this. And we discovered that red ties were very popular on Saturday. Handsome Face napped during the afternoon sessions so Cute Girl got to play her "conference game." She chooses pictures of gospel topics and listens for them during the session. Every time she hears an appropriate word she gets a candy from the bowl. Last conference we used M&Ms but I ate half the bowl so this time we switched to Skittles. At one point she was counting on one hand while shoving candy in with the other. Then she started complaining about how she couldn't chew because her mouth was too full. By midway through Sunday afternoon she told me that she thought we shouldn't have any more sugar.


New to this year was our between-sessions craft time. The kids really liked this but I think their dad had the most fun. Saturday we made trick-or-treaters out of craft foam. I had a kit from last year's clearance sales. The Rocket Scientist added parrots to their pirates and Cute Girl loved that. On Sunday we painted some Halloween decorations. We got started late and so ended up painting during the whole session. We really enjoyed that session although I probably would have learned more if I was taking notes. But seeing as Sunday afternoon is the best time for falling asleep, it's probably good that we were painting!
As for food, we had soup twice because of the whole wisdom teeth thing. I had to put my roast and mashed potatos on hold. But we did make cinnamon rolls Sunday morning and had some friends over for breakfast. Then Sunday night we had more friends over to eat more of the cinnamon rolls because I really need to get them out of my house! Plus, the kids loved playing with their friends. It was nice for them to be able to run off some of their pent up energy. And it's nice to have friends that you can call at a moment's notice.
All in all, it was a great weekend. My favorite parts were Pres Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard's talks, flying kites in the park, going to a mom's night out (for the neighborhood - not conference related), buying a new couch, and snuggling with all my kiddos.


4 comments:

Katie said...

How fun! Except for the wisdom teeth part. Those are some really good ideas for keeping kids entertained during conference. I'm going to have to remember those. And new couch? Pictures please.

Sheri E. said...

I'm with Katie, I want to see pictures of the new couch. Those foam crafts look really cute and really fun.

Karen C. said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend! Neil looks pretty sad with his head wrapped in a scarf and ice bags at his jaw.
The kids are so cute and they sure look like they are having fun.
I'm very excited about your new couch!

Sarah said...

Good job!! sounds like a great conference weekend. Next time I gotta be more prepared! I'm just happy Tanner napped a lot of it:) I love the tent idea...I might steal it!