Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pictures, Thoughts, and Random Goings-On

My children have been struggling with high fevers for the past four days so life has been a bit tiring. I've been meaning to post for awhile but haven't had the time. The kids are currently hiding under the blanket covered coffee table so I'm going to see what tidbits I can throw up here really quick.

Last week we discovered that Cute Girl no longer had any shorts that fit. This is a problem as we wear shorts ten months out of the year. So we did two things: cleaned out her closet and shopped for clothes.
I am not a pack rat and I HATE useless clutter and LOVE tossing things out. But I also subscribe to the "waste not, want not" mentality so this means I keep all my kids clothes for the future babies. When your first child is the first grandchild on both sides and a girl, this adds up to a lot of baby clothes. It also means that I'm running out of storage room. So I spent the better part of a day trying to condense all of my tubs of girl clothes. After an hour, I had taken this tub which contains only 0-3 months clothesand combined it with the 3-6 months clothes to produce this: I was very proud of myself, even if it did take all day and the lid won't close. But then we had to go shopping which I mistakenly thought would be easy. It's the end of summer and all the shorts would be on clearance, right? Wrong. There aren't any shorts on clearance. In fact, there aren't any shorts anywhere in the stores! I went to Maceys, Children's Place, Gap, Old Navy, Ross, and Marshall's without finding any shorts on clearance. Finally, we hit Target and found regular priced shorts on the regular sales racks. I grabbed them all because apparently they are the last ones in town. Oh, and did I mention that I hate shopping?

Last Saturday Cute Girl went to her first ever Primary Activity. It was a service project putting together school kits for children in Colombia. We collected supplies for a month (she took pencils and erasers) and then the kids each got to assemble one kit. They also colored pictures for the children, watched a service video, and ate popsicles.Here Cute Girl is with Kate and Anna. Can you believe that even though they are all the same age and all Sunbeams, none of them are in the same Primary class? Our ward is that big.

Since the kids are sick we've been staying home - no preschool or playgroups. But on Monday my friend Jacie called to see if her son could come play with Cute Girl. She wasn't bothered by the fevers and I didn't mind a quiet little boy entertaining my sickies so we got together. Then today we went to her house to let the kids ride bikes on her large driveway. This whole time I've been worried about my kids giving hers fevers and she's worried about her kids giving colds to mine. Since we weren't bothered by the other person's worries we threw them together anyway. The Rocket Scientist was laughing at our "cross-pollination of germs."

And finally, whoever came up with M&M's "melts in your mouth, not in your hands" didn't live in the desert.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my heavens, I can not believe how many baby clothes you have in just 0-3 months. That's a lot of pink. I could pile ALL my baby's clothes into that bin and still have room for tons more. And I already have some 12 month stuff. I'm jealous but at the same time, I have even less storage space than you do right now so I guess it's a good thing.

I am sad for you to have two sick babies, though. Hopefully they will feel better soon.

Rachael said...

oh man...I feel you on the clothes. I have one ENTIRE CLOSET devoted to baby clothes. And I probably have three boxes of 0-3 month size for boys, because everyone assumed that since we had two girls, we would need tons of boy clothes. Which was so sweet, and I was super grateful, although I literally had 5 enormous bags of boy clothes given to me in that size. And of course, Isaac fit those for about a week.

I really hope your kids feel better soon--having long periods of sick time is so not fun!! and ps--your crockpot story is funny. especially when coupled with the baby clothes storage problem--hey! you could stash baby clothes INSIDE crockpots! voila, problem solved! ;-)

Abby said...

It's great that Sadie and the primary kids are learning about service at such a young age. I'm impressed. It looked like everything went well. I really good idea. I wonder if our ward's primary does service?