Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I have the best husband in the world

I have often reflected on what makes different marriage couplings work. I think that my husband is the absolute best one out there (as I hope all wives do, respectively), but I don't know that there is one absolute perfect match for everyone. There is, however, definitely some pairings that work better than others. I don't know that there are many people who could deal with my husband's particular brand of goofy-self-assured-I'm-too-smart-for-my-own-britches personality. But that's just all the better for me.
Now that didn't have much to do with anything. It's only mildly related to the next part.
Monday night we went to the Rocket Scientist's softball game. We've been once before and I swore we were never going again because it went way past bedtime. Handsome Face is ok but Cute Girl does NOT do well with sleep deprivation and I due to seminary, I get to deal with the late-night repercussions on my own. But Monday afternoon it was made clear that while we didn't have to go, the Rocket Scientist really wanted us to be with him. Since it was fall break, I decided that a late night might not be so bad so we all went. Once we were there I felt bad though because the kids just wanted to play on the playground instead of watching their dad. We only saw the last 15 minutes or so of the game. Handsome Face did enjoy yelling "HI DAD" at the top of his lungs though.
When we got home Cute Girl was AWFUL! She screamed and tantrumed all through their shower and everything else. Handsome Face just got ready for bed and then looked at books while he waited for his hysterical sister. When they were finally in bed I collapsed in the family room. I really needed to clean the kitchen as every surface was covered but I just couldn't. I was too tired. Then, while thinking out loud to myself, I lamented the fact that there were no clean bowls for breakfast. So now I had to clean the kitchen. But instead the Rocket Scientist cleaned off all the counters and loaded and ran the dishwasher while I sat there and watched. I felt bad the entire time but he ignored all my protests and did it anyway. He's the best.

4 comments:

whitney said...

My husband definitely fits into the goofy-self-assured-I'm-too-smart-for-my-own-britches personality type also. I think it's most likely an engineer thing.

As for the rest of your post, what a sweetheart! Both of you, actually...you for going despite inevitable tantrums and him for doing the dishes. :)

Karen C. said...

I do think the two of you make a good pair. I'm awfully happy that you found each other. I hope the rocket scientist played well at his baseball game. Will there be any baseball games to watch when I come to visit?

Katie said...

You guys do work very well together. And who knew Nrelins would be such a good husband? :P

Mom said...

How blessed you both are! I can remember when I (back in the day) would go to bed exhausted and the next morning I would wake up to a clean kitchen. Your father, after getting home from working 2nd shift, would clean the kitchen. How blessed I am! Love you both!