Monday, February 15, 2010

How I Ruined Valentine's Day

Our weekend had some lovely spots. I hope yours did too. It also had some very, very bad spots. I hope yours didn't.
Friday morning dawned brightly and we all headed out the door. All of us, as in even the Rocket Scientist because it was his Friday off. I highly recommend working for companies that give you every other Friday off. And an automatic week at Christmas. I'm just sayin'.
First we headed to the doctors office where it was confirmed that Handsome Face's double ear infection was, indeed, gone. Then we went to the library where I scored a big bag of discount books and the kids perused the shelves with their father for some temporary goodies. Prior to this book fest we sat on a bench in the sunshine eating cashews and fruit leather as we arrived at the library 15 minutes too early. Who ever heard of opening at 9am every day of the week except Friday?! But the sunshine and snack was most welcome.
Then we headed to a local artists' colony for the annual art festival. We had fun walking around, seeing all the vendors' wares, and sampling food. The kids loved riding the horse drawn carriage and seeing all the dogs. I loved the wild blackberry honey I bought (the kids liked tasting all the honey and getting sticky). We all got tired and a little bit sunburned as I never remember the sunscreen in February.
When we got home I thought my allergies had started for the year. My throat hurt a LOT. So I took my drugs and a nap and then we all watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks for family movie night and ate chicken carbonara from the Rocket Scientist's kitchen.
That night I got up with children and when I came back to bed my husband came over to cuddle with me. When he felt my legs he said, "Wow, you're warm." And then his head slid up to my forehead and he said, "And not the good kind." So I went to the bathroom, took my temperature, found I had a fever, took two Tylenol and went back to bed.
The next morning the kids blissfully let us stay in bed til almost eight o'clock. We all got up, got ready for the day, the kids went to the grocery with their dad and I cleaned the kitchen. I then collapsed back into my bed. I only ever got up when some dire physical need required it. My house got trashed that day and we had to cancel our Valentine's date that night. I even had a real baby-sitter! And there was no cookie making that day. So sad.
It turned out that Cute Girl also had the flu bug. So on Sunday we stayed home together and the boys went to church. The Rocket Scientist made the heart shaped pancakes with strawberries and cream that I was going to make for the kids. Then he brought me some in bed at eight o'clock. Yes, I slept til eight o'clock. And I went back to bed at ten. I repeated this pattern for the rest of the day. And the boys once again went to our friends' for Valentine's Day dinner all by themselves. Cute Girl had a bath and was out in seconds. I laid on the couch and read 22 pages of the Book of Mormon until they came home. Then we went to bed. Exciting, huh?
And now Handsome Face has pink eye in both eyes. Will it never end?

7 comments:

Lachelle said...

I think my V-day was pretty close to that... two kids with colds, last minute "by the way can't be at church can you teach", burned the frosting I never mess up, Gavin threw up from coughing so hard, went to go to grandma's... thought Ben had the keys so I locked the door, had to pay $50 for someone to unlock it for us.... I understand! ;)Hope you are all feeling better today.

Chelsea said...

Blah! That sounds retched! Well, the sick part. The blackberry honey and artists' colony sound pretty fun. The phrase artists' colony sounds like they live in a commune or something, and really, I wouldn't put it past many artists.

Katie said...

Oh that is really sad. I am sorry. But probably still a good Valentine's Day because your Valentine was so good to you. Just think how awful it would have been without him.

Rachael said...

Oh man. So sorry to hear you guys are under the weather!!

Melanie said...

That does not sound fun, except that you got all the sleep you needed. Hope you are starting to feel better!

Alan C said...

I hope you are feeling better.

Karen C. said...

I don't think you should blame yourself for ruining Valentine's Day. I'm pretty sure you didn't get sick on purpose because it doesn't sound like you had any fun at all! I hope you feel better soon. It's a good thing you had such an enjoyable Friday. And the heart shaped pancakes and all the sleeping actually sounds pretty good to me!!