Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life, yesterday

Yesterday I locked myself into my room. That means I locked my children OUT. Do you ever have days like that?
Now here's a disclaimer: we did not have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. We accomplished much that was good. Cute Girl and I picked up her room and the toy room. I cleaned the kids' bathroom and put away Handsome Face's clean laundry. We managed to keep the downstairs picked up and there was a steady stream of dishes going into the dishwasher instead of piling up on the counters.
And there were those things that were moderately good. I tried to read the kids some books; I think we got through two. We were all in the toy room together but the kids didn't really need me for their games so I ended up reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle while Handsome Face played with the Jack-in-the-Box beside me. I made jam. Everyone took a nap.
But the things that tend to stick out from yesterday are the things that truly were rotten. I was on the computer too much. I was too tired to get out of bed and go running yesterday morning. Chicken boiled dry and filled the house with smoke. Cute Girl is going through one of her "wetting the pants" phases as a means of asserting her control over the household. Handsome Face screams all day long, constantly wanting what he can't have and then throwing a tantrum when denied.
And so I ended up in my bedroom, door locked, little kids knocking on the door and Handsome Face calling out "Mum-my! Mum-my!" It really was a miracle they weren't screaming to be let in.
Today I resolve to do better. We've already had one potty accident on the freshly mopped bathroom floor but I didn't have to clean it up so I don't think it counts. I went running. Farther than I went on Monday even. And everyone's dressed, fed, and the beds are made. And now I'm going to turn off my computer and go brush everyone's teeth. Hopefully none of the doors will be locked at the end of the day.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh, I had one of those days last week. I was super stressed from screaming/crying children who would not stop- so I locked myself in my room, put myself on time out, so to speak. but that doesn't work around here because madison knows how to pick the locks- she's too smart for her own good. my kids just came right in charging after me with their cries. we all have days like that. oh, you gotta love motherhood!

Jacie said...

Hey yesterday was like that at my house too. Next time let's lock ourselves in together!

beapinkal said...

I was crying as I read through your post. I feel the same way sometimes. I have bad days too. And i'm sure we're not alone. If you haven't done it yet read Erica Johns blog- she has a post how not perfect we're as mothers but it is ok. I cryed through her post too. :) It is so good that we have a Father in Heaven who loves us even when we have bad days like that.
hugs,
Bea

Rachael said...

I always find it interesting to evaluate the things that make me feel not so great about the day--like you, too much time on the computer and not enough exercise are total day-ruiners, even if the rest of the day goes pretty well. but potty accidents--those are a KILLER. I sure hope she stops those soon for your sake!